Maharashtra Chamber of Commerce, Industry & Agriculture (MACCIA) being the Apex Chamber of the State, plays a pivotal role in the economic development of the Maharashtra State. With more than 3500 direct Members, comprising industries, traders, agriculturists & professionals, MACCIA is the only Chamber in Maharashtra, which has deep roots in all districts and Talukas of Maharashtra.
In addition, over 800 local Trade & Industry associations with a collective membership of over 700,000 business organizations from all over the State are affiliated to the Chamber and thus it virtually functions as the Apex Chamber of the state.
Arbitration & Mediation Centre of MACCIA:-
MACCIA Arbitration & Mediation Centre is now available in service for members & non-members, for speedy and economic dispute resolutions. MACCIA has added one more feather in its achievements by inaugurating MACCIA Arbitration & Mediation Centre (MACCIA A & M Centre) in affiliation with the Indian Institute of Arbitration & Mediation (IIAM) Cochin.
Arbitration Institution is the need of the hour and it has got legal status after an assent given by the Hon’ble President of India to the Arbitration Amendment Act 2019. The need for Arbitration Institutions is also emphasized by the Supreme Court of India in its various landmark judgments. The future belongs to mediation as said by the Hon’ble Chief Justice of India Mr. N.V. Ramana.
Location Address & facility:-
- The MACCIA Arbitration & Mediation Centre is located in the Fort area in Mumbai, known as Mumbai City, and is surrounded by Kala Ghoda, Gate of India, Bombay Stock Exchange, and Bombay High Court among other historical places.
- MACCIA Arbitration & Mediation Centre has conference rooms, meeting rooms and other technology-related facilities required for conducting arbitration and mediation hearings.
- The MACCIA Arbitration & Mediation Centre has a panel of arbitrators and mediators who have achieved excellence in their respective professions and services.
- The MACCIA Arbitration & Mediation Centre provides administrative assistance to the arbitral tribunal and parties by making available facilities, through the appointment of arbitrators, by getting involved in resolving procedural issues, acting as the registry, and by providing a reasonable fixed schedule of fees, thereby ensuring smooth progress of the arbitral process in an efficient and time-bound manner.
Main features of institutional arbitration:-
- The arbitration agreement designates an arbitral institution to administer the arbitration.
- The parties to the agreement submit their disputes to the institution which then administers the arbitral process as provided by the rules of that institution.
- The institution does not arbitrate the dispute. It is the arbitral panel that does.
- The parties can get an estimated cost of arbitration before referring the dispute to the institution based on a fixed fees structure.
- Institutional arbitration is time-bound arbitration and is supervised in nature.
- The arbitration rules are set out clearly and binding on the parties.
- This automatic incorporation of the rules is the principal advantage in institutional arbitration as it leads to effective enforceability.
Arbitration Committee & Supervision of the work:-
- Adv. Pradeep Samant, the honorary Chairman of the Arbitration Committee of the MACCIA Arbitration & Mediation Centre will supervise the administrative work of the Centre
- C.A. C.S. Mukund Sabale, Adv. Krishna Thacker, Adv. Saloni Ghule, Adv. Keshav Korgaonkar are the Committee members.
Office Hours & payment details:-
- The office hours for filing arbitration forms, payment of registration fees, and accepting other documents shall be 11 am to 4 pm, Monday - Friday (close on public holidays). However, arbitration forms and registration of fees can be filed online also.
- All communication shall be made to the Administrator of the MACCIA Centre.
- All payments made to the MACCIA Centre shall carry an additional cost of GST as applicable from time to time.
- All payments shall be made by cheque payable to the “MACCIA” Centre.
- Payments may also be made by bank transfer (NEFT/RTGS) to the bank account of the MACCIA, the details of the bank account are provided herein below.
- The arbitrator fee shall be made by a cheque in the name of the arbitrator. T.D.S. will be deducted as applicable.
Imp Note:- Kindly put the following clause in your business agreements so that disputes if any will be handled by MACCIA.
"Any dispute, difference or controversy arising out of or in connection with this contract, including any question regarding its existence, operation, termination, validity or breach thereof shall be referred to and finally resolved by arbitration as per the Arbitration & Conciliation Act, 1996 and shall be conducted by the MACCIA Arbitration & Mediation Centre, in accordance with arbitration rules of Indian Institute of Arbitration and Mediation (IIAM Arbitration Rules) for the time being in force."
Please find attached herewith are rules of and fees schedule of MACCIA arbitration Center.
Circular - Arbitration Centre
Rules - Arbitration May 2021
IIAM Administrative and Arbitrators Fee
Note: Appendix 4 of the Fees structure is not applicable for our center.
I am honoured to be serving as President of MACCIA for the period 2017- 2019. I have strived to emulate the integrity, vision and leadership of our past Chairs. Heading towards the 'CENTENARY', I am very ecstatic to invite you to join MACCIA.